Monday, April 16, 2007

Hokies Trump Orioles and Cavaliers Tonight

This is my first post from Brazil and it is called a "postagem" according to the Portugese translation of my site. I am in Brasilia, the DC of Brazil, with some amazing modern architecture. I followed tonight's game on espn.com and nearly gave up until the Orioles began their comeback from a 7-1 deficit. At 7-5, I signed up for the radio broadcast. I listened to Aubrey Huff hit his first Oriole home run. There were some tense moments but the Devils Rays capitulated. Parrish ended a one-out threat with two in scoring position. A Red Sox fan and colleague suggested that the D-Rays were our biggest rivals now, that we can't really have rivalries with the Yankees and the Red Sox until we challenge them for the Division. The last time we were over .500 before tonight was April 29th of last year. The best Oriole teams often started slowly. Perhaps we can prove them wrong this year.

In the end tonight, my thoughts and prayers are with the entire Virginia Tech community. As a graduate of UVA, I can easily say that the Hokies are our biggest rivals and that I sometimes engage in spouting anti-Tech rhetoric, much of which has been the result of my own jealousy as they have excelled in recent years on the football field and now on the basketball court. I watched the news conference on CNN and wondered what the people of Brasil must think of my country. The barrage of questions from the reporters seem to telegraph the facts that will be a part of some lurid documentary in years to come. Questions that you never want to hear. "What kind of gun was used? Did he shoot in one place or move around? Did he turn the gun on himself? What was the scene inside like?" A co-worker of mine has a son who is in school there. I hope he is okay. When will our collective outrage at this behavior make a difference?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page