Friday, December 08, 2006

Charisma?

I caught a glimpse of British Prime Minister Tony Blair yesterday when his motorcade turned in front of me at 16th and M Streets in DC. The police had cordoned off the area and you couldn't really tell who it was until the limousine appeared from behind the lead black Suburban. The motorcade was long and wide with the bright winter sun glinting off chrome bumpers. The American flag waved from above one headlight while the Union Jack flew proudly from the other side. The two flags together under official auspices marked a rare and exotic moment. Immediately and instinctively, I gave Tony a thumbs up and pumped my fist in the air. I'm not sure what came over me. Tony Blair helped seal the deal for US involvement in Iraq. He brought credibility to the operation from the beginning. Without his unwavering support, the occupation may have disintegrated long ago. Over the past few years, I've watched him on CSPAN debate effectively and with aplomb in British Parliament against a barrage of difficult questions. I must have subconsciously gained respect for him on those occasions. A combination of Mick Jagger and Harry Potter, Blair evokes a boyish magic that is sorely lacking in his American counterpart. Blair is as British as bangers and mash, Wine Gums, and blood pudding. He possesses style and panache. However, his days are numbered as Prime Minister and his support of the war a major reason why. Still, I approve of him and even like him, regardless of the fact that he may be partially responsible for 3,000 dead American service men. I like him even as I speculate what deal he may have struck with our government for Britain's participation in the conflict. He has mojo, even gravitas, and at times, humility. The humility piece for me seals the deal. As the motorcade passed, he rolled down the window and smiled, waving to my friends and I standing on the corner. It felt like victory. "There goes a real leader," someone behind me said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page